What's Legal and Where?

Anything and everything should be discussed here. News and happenings going on in the world of online marketing!

Moderator: Richard Taylor

trafficguide

What's Legal and Where?

Post by trafficguide » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:06 pm

I generally only promote my own programs, but the people who use my programs are often promoting things that I don't even know if they are legal or not. Since Online Marketing is completely global, there are many programs which might be legal in some countries but not others. In the United States, this can vary from state to state. For example, as far as I can tell "Matrix" programs are legal, but "Pyramids" and Ponzi schemes are not legal in the United States. To be honest, I'm not really sure what the difference is between the these (perhaps somebody can explain?). And what about Cyclers? I've never used any of these out of concerns for their legality but many of my upgraded members have been promoting matrixes and cyclers for years, so perhaps there's something to them and I might be really missing out. I wish somebody could fill me in!

One fellow was promoting a program called "Bitcoin Pyramid" and I banned it right off the bat.

As always in marketing or even online shopping, "Let the Buyer Beware" but I don't want to run afoul of the law by letting people promote things at my mailer and TE that could get ME in trouble for letting them use my platform. I also dislike the idea that my members might be getting "suckered" into joining programs that are scammy but when it comes to Matrixes and Cyclers I don't know enough to make that call.

Does anyone have any information about the legality of these programs, or if legal, their success rates? I know the guy that owned Traffic Monsoon is facing criminal charges, yet I used to see Traffic Monsoon promoted everywhere all the time. I heard many people complain about being ripped off by this program, yet I just found a "gofundme" type of page for his legal defense that has raised more than $20,000 that people have been contributing to as late as yesterday

https://www.fundedjustice.com/f1C8h8?re ... yGLcW5b2im

Any info? I think it's a really important yet confusing topic!

JonOlson

Re: What's Legal and Where?

Post by JonOlson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Good questions.

I'm no legal expert, but it's one reason I never joined or promoted any cyclers / randomizers / matrices over the years. I'm not smart enough to know what's legal and what's not.

With the new Bitcoin craze too....It's even more confusing for me.

So for me, it's been affiliate marketing with a good ol' fashioned one level affiliate plan :)
"Saving Unicorns Daily!"

Brendon3r

Post by Brendon3r » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:01 pm

I looked back at a list of Bitcoin type FAUCETS and so called "mining" sites from 8 months ago the other day... out of 80 sites there were 5 left.

and a recent report stated that of the 29,000 new ICO (initial coin offerings) for sites, less that 1% are still there after 2 years.

People have lost MILLIONS - and I do mean individuals - who invested - trusted - the wrong thing, investment, or site.

So, the really serious and insidious things are those HYIP/MINERS, they promise 5,8,10,12,300,1200,5000% - PER DAY -guaranteed.

If you can believe it, its true.

The one thing i promote promises NO interest or return per day - but it does deliver what it MAKES per day on the bitcoin market - and for 2 years folks have been getting wealthy off it - the LUCKY ones.

Thats why I promote it - to let people know what DOES work - and hopefully keep them from wasting their money or yet another fake fly by night site.

(Edited as missed a 0 off the 5000% - anyone want that link lol :o ()

Brendon.

Richard Taylor

Post by Richard Taylor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:11 am

It can be difficult to ascertain the legality of a program/business from the information they have on the public venue. Of course, they ALL claim to be legal, but how do you determine who actually is, or isn't? Most people don't know what the requirements are, or where to find them. Nor do most really care as long as it promises to make them money.

As we all (should) know, ignorance of the law is no excuse when it comes to legal recourse. But to what level should we be acquainted? A good place to start to find answers is https://www.ftc.gov - the U.S. Federal Trade Commission - which regulates such activities. Also, most Countries have similar entities and laws/regulations to what the FTC speaks of.

For over a decade, I owned a business that did Regulatory Assessments for Federal Compliance. One of the best answers I have for this is the old adage "If in doubt, toss it out".

If you can't make an informed decision based on what you can find out about a company from their published information, dump it and move on. The onus is on the business itself to provide what is needed to make such decisions. If they fail to do so, then they 'fail' to meet the litmus test for what should be the minimum for consideration.

Over the years, I have spoken out about or played a role in the demise of, more than one business/program that blatantly violated Federal Law. The last thing I want to see is people investing in a situation that can only lead to greater disappointment, at the minimum, or legal actions.

I would be happy to discuss this at greater length with anyone interested. Feel free to contact me.
"The only limits we have are those we impose upon ourselves. Remove the limits!"

carljohndavies

Post by carljohndavies » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:40 pm

I personally stay away from any matrix or pyramid schemes with no real actual value behind them.

Most affiliate products are in good standings.

Rule of thumb, if the opportunity sounds too good to be true. It's probably true.

Just be careful!