How I grew an Instagram to 34k followers

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram...Oh my! It's a big big world out there, and social media helps you make it a little bit smaller :)

Moderator: Richard Taylor

TimLinden

How I grew an Instagram to 34k followers

Post by TimLinden » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:34 am

OK so here's a tip, you can repost content on Instagram and most people will love it. The key is, you have to tag them in the photo and put it in the comment as well PLUS leave all the hashtags. This does three things:

1) The person in the photo sees it, and sees you featuring their account so they might follow you back
2) People who like photos of that person start to see your photo in the explore page
3) If they are popular, they probably already have targetted hashtags which you now benefit from

If you start to build traction, people will start to ASK you to feature them. Simply tell them to tag you in photos they want to be featured. This then adds even more to the algorithm to get you discovered as now YOU are seen as the popular one.

I've replicated this on 3 accounts, although the 34k one is the main one I do (it's a kids account, no I won't tell you which one). But I tried it with a friend's account running a smokehouse and I tried it with photos of grass. Same thing on all accounts, every time I do it I get a boost of followers.

preciousns

Re: How I grew an Instagram to 34k followers

Post by preciousns » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:01 am

Thanks for the tips.

I've been thinking of ways to successfully grow my instagram following and I've not heard of this before, so I think I will give this a go.

Is there an app you use to repost content?

Thanks,
Stephanie

JonOlson

Post by JonOlson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:02 am

preciousns wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:01 am

Yeah, teach us Tim :) This really intrigued me.
"Saving Unicorns Daily!"

TimLinden

Post by TimLinden » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 pm

preciousns wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

I've been thinking of ways to successfully grow my instagram following and I've not heard of this before, so I think I will give this a go.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Yup it's called Repost on Andriod, but there are a dozen or so of them on every platform. It's a process though, Instagram doesn't "allow" reposting, instead you have to goto share, copy post url, then on the app it reads the url, downloads the image, copies the text, and opens Instagram to post the image then you have to paste the text and manually tag them.

It's a bit ironic, they aren't "blocking" this, they just have no APIs available that allow this process to happen easily. Unlike Facebook that literally has a share button on everything so you can re-post it to your feed lol

preciousns

Post by preciousns » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks Tim. I look forward to giving it a go!

Brendon3r

Post by Brendon3r » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:26 pm

TimLinden wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 pm
preciousns wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Yup it's called Repost on Andriod, but there are a dozen or so of them on every platform. It's a process though, Instagram doesn't "allow" reposting, instead you have to goto share, copy post url, then on the app it reads the url, downloads the image, copies the text, and opens Instagram to post the image then you have to paste the text and manually tag them.

It's a bit ironic, they aren't "blocking" this, they just have no APIs available that allow this process to happen easily. Unlike Facebook that literally has a share button on everything so you can re-post it to your feed lol
So you can't do it on a laptop then ?

Brendon

TimLinden

Post by TimLinden » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Nope. They block most functionality and want it to be phone based.

Paul_Nulty

Post by Paul_Nulty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks Tim this is interesting, I have seen people do what you are talking about but have not yet been able to figure out how to re post. Is this done off of the back of twitter integration and re tweets?

TimLinden

Post by TimLinden » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:43 pm

You have to use an App to do it, but basically it's take a screenshot of someone else's post, post it on your own account and tag them giving them credit.

dansbanners

Post by dansbanners » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:27 am

And how you make money by having a lot of followers?