Forums - Are They Really Viable Today?

A Net Marketing Forum classic thread! What's grinding your gears?

Moderator: Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Forums - Are They Really Viable Today?

Post by Richard Taylor » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:26 am

I had to make a difficult decision. Post this in Rants or Raves, as it could be construed to go either way. However, since Rants was one of my favorite topics in the previous NMF, I picked it again! So, let's go!

Forums. One of the oldest forms of social media online. Some of my first experiments with working online were to use Forums way back in the early 1990's. They offered what couldn't be found elsewhere at the time, true networking opportunities. Using dial-up modems and dealing with 1 megabyte RAM systems made even this difficult. But the value gained was worth the effort.

Gone are the dinosaur days of the early internet. New options abound that offer immediate interactions with people globally. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and a myriad of other programs, all have that capability. In this fast-paced environment, our opportunities are determined only by how much time we want to spend there, and character limits. With all these options that offer so much, so quickly, why would we look back to Forums for opportunity?

That is a valid question. Facebook has almost TWO BILLION members. Twitter processes well over a million Tweets a minute at times. A post or video can go viral and have one million likes in a matter of hours. You can follow leading experts in your field, actors, artists, comedians, writers, even the President of the United States. Why consider going back to something that hasn't really changed much since it's inception?

That's easy! For the same reasons listed above!

With, literally, millions of people competing for attention, how likely are you to be seen? By the time you make a post, hundreds (1000's maybe?) of others have already buried yours on the feed. Unless you are one of the leaders, singers, writers, whatever . . . you are just another line of text that 'may' get read. Have you ever tried to ask a question or get help from someone on YouTube with 50K+ followers? Good luck!

No, I am not saying that using those platforms is a bad idea. I use them. I do get some response (a few of you here are a direct result of my Facebook/Twitter blurbs) at times. My business benefits from advertising. But trying to actually network with people there is difficult, to say the least.

That brings us to where we are right now - the NMF Forum!

No, there are not millions of people here. Those that ARE here, though, are looking for the same thing YOU are - the opportunity to learn, discuss ideas, share knowledge/skills, and find opportunities. I have found business partners, investment capital, new ideas to grow from, and a host of other aspects in a Forum that could never have developed in most other social media.

You don't have to be a superstar to make comments. Anyone, of any level, can be a valuable addition to the Forum. You DO, however, have to participate in the discussions!

It takes more effort than just posting on the introduction topic. That's where you should start, but not end!

Jon posted a PDF Guide that is a great place to begin to understand how to get the most out of being here at http://www.netmarketingforum.com/nmfuserguide.pdf

Help develop an environment where everyone can find a place to learn, share, and move forward on their journey. It benefits you as much as anyone else to do so.

Yes, Forum's are still viable, and together, we can build a better mousetrap. Be proactive in your own future. The benefits of doing so are more than I can adequately explain here. Let's do this!
"The only limits we have are those we impose upon ourselves. Remove the limits!"

Brendon3r

Re: Forums - Are They Really Viable Today?

Post by Brendon3r » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:20 pm

I think their viable yes ..

Soo um .. why the new version of NMF, what happened to all the olde stuffe ?

Regards,

Brendon.

JonOlson

Re: Forums - Are They Really Viable Today?

Post by JonOlson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:36 am

Brendon3r wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:20 pm
I think their viable yes ..

Soo um .. why the new version of NMF, what happened to all the olde stuffe ?

Regards,

Brendon.
Database crashes, focusing on other websites....But it's back now :)
"Saving Unicorns Daily!"